3 Soldiers Killed In Attack On Army Camp In Jammu And Kashmir’s Kupwara

An army camp in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara was attacked by terrorists.

KUPWARA: Three soldiers died in a suicide attack early today at an army camp in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara. Five soldiers were injured in the attack, said to be the biggest since the strike on an army installation in Uri last September.

The attack is suspected to have to have been carried out by terrorists of Pakistan-based Jaish-e Mohammad, two of whom were shot dead in a four-hour gun-battle.

Among the deceased are 25-year-old Captain Ayush Yadav, Junior Commissioned Officer Bhoop Singh Gujjar Dusaa, 46, and 38-year-old Naik Venkat Raman.

The camp at Panzgam, 100 km from Srinagar, lies on a route through which Pakistani terrorists are known to infiltrate into India. An artillery brigade is stationed there.

The terrorists had struck around 4.30 am. Opening fire to create confusion, they had breached the fence of the camp and entered the premises. It is not known how many terrorists were involved and a search operation continuing in the area.

The attack comes a day after a meeting of the Unified Command, where infiltration was discussed.

Last year, 19 soldiers were killed in a similar attack on an army camp in Uri by terrorists who crossed over from Pakistan. Relations between Pakistan and India have been deeply strained since the attack, which marked the highest casualty suffered by the army in years.

Lately, terrorists have struck at will and breached facilities that have been under high security – including guards, high walls and concertina wire fences. Besides the attack in Uri, there were two such terror strikes last year.

In January, a group of heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists struck at the Air Force base in Pathankot. Six security personnel and a terrorist were killed in the attack.

On November 29, terrorists entered the premises of the 16 Corps headquarters on the outskirts of Jammu city, killing 7 soldiers.